LUTON DEANERY SYNOD
5th February 2013
The meeting was held at St Andrews, Blenheim Crescent; we were welcomed by Rev Grantley Finlayson and after opening worship we were shown a presentation of the church celebrating its 80 year history.
The treasurer proposed that we have a policy aiming to ring-fence approx. £3,000 of reserves for Synod to meet a future specific missional need or extraordinary event. This would remove the need for a mission support item in the annual budget. The proposal was agreed.
News – Chris Barnes standing down as chairman of Churches Together in Luton – a replacement being sought. CTinL’s AGM is on 9th March with Gavin Shuker speaking.
Election of Deanery Synod reps to Wenlock C.E. Junior School governors – people with specific skills are being sought – interested parties should talk to Peter Adams (Chair of Board of Governors). Headteacher has resigned so a replacement will be recruited this year.
We were told of the outline plans for the Lent Day with Bishop Richard on 5th March, including mini-pilgrimage (walk and talk with the Bishop) St Mary Luton to St John Farley Hill then All Saints and back to St Mary. Evening reflection and Compline for all especially those in lay leadership.
Synod were thanked for feedback at last meeting on mission aims & priorities which will now be developed further by Mission & Pastoral Committee. Some of the points raised during the discussion had been as follows:
- We need to start from where we are, but keep moving, however slowly that may be. God is doing great things, and we need to talk them up and share good news.
- Some parishes have already prepared their Mission Action Plans (MAPs), and any parishes that have not yet done so should not be afraid to ask for help in doing so.
- Deanery Synods are becoming increasingly important in voting and playing a role in the governance of the Church.
- Parishes need to be helped to disciple people.
- We need to encourage all parishes to be represented at all Synod meetings.
- Do all parishes have Deanery Synod reports on their PCC Agendas? The possibility of providing brief bullet point notes after each Synod has been considered